.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thoughts on Quilts, and More

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Challenge Quilt

As a general rule, I have given up Challenge Quilts. While they are a lot of fun, they are also a distraction from the art work I need to be making. My one exception is our guild President's Challenge. This year, we were given one dozen lemon yellow buttons and some red polyester (yucky) mesh fabric, like football uniforms are made of.

This was certainly not my color palette! But we were given no other restrictions, we just had to use these items in some form. So I changed their colors! I painted the red mesh with copper Lumiere paint, and covered the buttons with black handmade paper. This wasn't really true black enough, so I then painted them with black acrylic paint as well.

I took a piece of black fabric and had tons of fun stamping it with different kinds of paint and utensils. I used a swirly stamp, I carved a double "o" stamp, I stamped with a potato masher, meat tenderizer and a chopstick!

I also added some red chiffon that I later burnt out a bit. And here is the result...



I am totally in love with this piece...I'm not sure if its because I like how it looks or becuase I just had so much fun making it. Either way, I love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home