.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thoughts on Quilts, and More

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Meditations

Here is a photo of Meditations 16"x21.5", created September 2006. The fabric used was handdyed by Melody Johnson. Even though I have started dying my own fabric, I have a backlog of purchased handdyes to draw on also! I love how these three fabrics work together so dramatically, but also imparting a sense of peacefulness.



Here is a detail shot. (please forgive the poor lighting)




To make this, I applied fusible web (Wonder Under) to all of the fabric. I cut the pieces freehand with a rotary cutter. First I took the middle piece and overlapped in with the top piece and cut them together, so the edge would have a common curve. Then I fused them together. I used the same process with the fused piece and the bottom piece. At that point I was able to fuse the larger piece to my batting.

I used the "escape hatch" technique to apply my backing and turn the quilt. I love the smooth edge this gives me, and use it for all my fused quilts. My original idea was to heavily quilt this piece to give it texture. But the more I looked at it, the more it did not want this treatment! I started looking through my supplies and found a great silk screen from Marcy Tilton. It seemed so perfect for this piece...so I screened the design with some Lumiere.

It still needed something more, so I took a plain stamp and applied Lumiere paint to each half. I used two different color combinations of paint. I heat set all the paints and then it was ready for quilting! I wanted straight line quilting to offset all of the curvy-ness of the design, so I quilted with the feed dogs up to make sure my lines were straight.

Meditations will be on display at the Westerville OH Public Library in December 2006, so stop by if you are in town!

1 Comments:

  • Beautiful! Stunning. I just love it. The composition is so spare and yet full of details. The screen is perfect.

    By Blogger Deborah Boschert, at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home