.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thoughts on Quilts, and More

Monday, April 17, 2006

More About the Workshop

This was such an awesome group to come together for a workshop. We had a great workshop leader in Melody Johnson -- so funny, so smart, and so willing to help without being critical. She truly created a safe environment for all of us to work in -- Thanks Melody!

And now, on to the art! The very first thing we did, was to create a small piece with some of Melody's Special Edition fabric. This is a half yard piece of fabric that has eight rainbow bright colors in it -- such fun to work with! We each created the same wonky block, and then we each came up with our own ways to lay them out and fill in the empty spots created by the wonkiness! Here is mine...



The next thing we did was to start working with values. We each created a set of at least five fabrics in each of five values; light, med. light, bright, med. dark, dark. These are my fabrics...



It took the rest of the day to iron and apply fusing to each piece. We each designed a simple block and made up the block in each of the five value colorways. Then we got to make a play around block in each value as well. This was much more fun!

Later, we took one of those blocks to make a larger piece which might be the start of a series. I took one of my med. dark blocks and made a few more. However I got bored very quickly with that. Then I started playing around with my scraps and putting them with the blocks I had made. That made things better, but still not very good. I decided that the whole thing was too dark, with no good focal point and really just a mishmash of crap. It needed some zing!



All of the orange and red around the center is the zing! Basically I took my main piece and made it the focal point. Then I added the color as a border, but used different values of the orange to pull your eye out. FUN!

To Be Continued...

2 Comments:

  • It looks as if you had a great time and a very productive one,love the work you created

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:54 PM  

  • Beautiful blocks. I can see you enjoyed your workshop.
    That food - yummy - I think I could go a week without a diet for such tasty fare.

    By Blogger doubleknot, at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home