.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thoughts on Quilts, and More

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Grandmother's Flowers

I spent most of yesterday and this morning finishing up my quilt for the Women in Art Challenge for the Art Quilt Alliance. Quilts need to be turned in at today's meeting -- hey I got it done three hours before I have to leave for the meeting!

Quilts were to be inspired by a woman artist in any medium. We were restricted to a 2:3 ratio for the finished quilt and we also had to select a segment of the inspiration peice that was a 2:3 ration. It was an interesting challenge and most of our group participated. I had trouble finding a woman artist that inspired me -- the Newark library did not have a lot of resources for me to work with. So I used a painting done by my grandmother that hangs in my living room.

The painting is very dark, with a basket of orange and yellow flowers. I tend to use a lot of bright fabrics in my work, and I also don't do much of anything that is representational. So my quilt doesn't look very much like the painting! It is a basket of flowers, but I painted fabric in a bright orange to use as a background. And the flowers are all kinds of odd shapes etc. I think that someone looking at both pieces could see the similarity, but my quilt is definately my own piece!

The quilts from this challenge will be on view from April 1 - 30 in the Groveport OH Town Hall. So if you are in the area, stop in and see them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home